With all the different types of bikes out there, it can be difficult to differentiate between them. Gravel biking is a relatively new sport and has quickly become popular among cyclists looking for an off-road experience.
But what's so special about gravel bikes?
Let's break down what exactly a gravel bike is and how it differs from other bikes.
Read on to learn more!
What is a gravel bike?
A gravel bike is a bicycle designed to be ridden on unpaved roads. These bikes are like road bikes but have wider tires and a more durable frame.
They are also equipped with features, such as suspension forks and disc brakes, that make them more comfortable to ride on rough terrain.
Gravel bikes are a relatively new bicycle category, growing in popularity among cyclists who want to explore the world beyond the pavement.
What does a gravel bike offer?
- Gravel bikes offer a smoother ride on rough roads. The wide tires and suspension forks absorb shock and vibration, making for a more comfortable ride.
- Gravel bikes can be ridden on a variety of terrains. They are versatile bicycles that can handle dirt roads, sand, rocks, and even snow. This makes them ideal for exploring new places and getting off the beaten path.
- Gravel bikes are typically more affordable than other types of bicycles. Because they are designed for unpaved roads, they do not need as expensive equipment as road bikes or mountain bikes.
- Gravel bikes also often have a more relaxed geometry than other road bikes, which makes them more comfortable to ride over long distances.
Differences between Road, Mountain, and Gravel bikes
Road bikes are designed for speed and efficiency on pavement. They have thinner tires, lighter frames, and gears optimized for pedaling quickly over long distances.
Mountain bikes are designed for off-road riding on rugged terrain. They have thicker tires, sturdier frames, and gears better suited for climbing hills and powering through mud.
Gravel bikes are a relatively new category that combines the best features of road and mountain bikes. They have wider tires than road bikes, but not as wide as mountain bikes. They also have frame geometry that is somewhere between the two types of bikes, making them more comfortable to ride on long distances over varied terrain.
Components of Gravel Bikes compared to Road Bikes
- The main components of a gravel bike include the frame, fork, wheels, tires, drivetrain, and brakes.
- The frame is the main structure of the bike, and it is typically made from either steel or aluminum.
- The fork is the part of the bike that holds the front wheel in place and is usually made from carbon fiber or aluminum.
- Gravel bikes have a longer wheelbase and lower bottom bracket than road bikes, which makes them more stable on rough terrain.
- The wheels are typically wider than those on other road bikes and are often equipped with disc brakes for improved stopping power.
- The tires are also wider than those on other road bikes and are designed to provide good traction on both paved and unpaved surfaces.
- They also have lower gears than road bikes, making them easier to pedal when riding over rough terrain.
- The drivetrain includes the pedals, chain, gears, and shifters and is responsible for propelling the bike forward.
- They can be heavier and harder to pedal than road bikes, so they may not be ideal if you want to go fast or cover long distances.
- Because they have wider tires, they can be less efficient on paved roads compared to road bikes.
Why would you want to ride a gravel bike?
First, they're great for exploring new roads and trails. If you like to go off the beaten path, a gravel bike will enable you to do that without worrying about getting stuck or damaging your bike.
Second, gravel bikes are very versatile. They can be used for commuting, racing, touring, or just riding around town. A gravel bike can handle most of your cycling needs if you only want one.
Finally, gravel bikes are relatively affordable.
Where to buy a gravel bike?
KV Cycles, of course!
It's an online bike shop based in Canada. They offer a wide selection of bicycles and related cycling accessories. They don't sell any bike make they haven't tried themselves.
Best of all, KV Cycles offers great customer service and competitive prices, so you can find the perfect bike for your needs and budget.
So, why wait? Shop your gravel bike now!